For many people challenging or difficult conversations are a bit like the common cold: we all get them, they can be a real nuisance, but there seems to be no cure. Unlike the common cold, these conversations should not be avoided. The ability to be able to talk about very sensitive and emotive issues is an integral part of effective line management and can be critical to managing performance, promoting attendance and improving team dynamics.
The good news is that there are some very practical steps you can take to help you handle these conversations better and, where possible, get the right outcome for everyone concerned.
The key to mastering one-to-one interactions at work – particularly around performance, conduct or communication issues, is control. Setting clear boundaries, mastering your own emotions and proper planning can provide you with the confidence to face whatever problem comes your way.
Duration – 1 day
- Raising self-awareness in dealing with challenging conversations
- Why we avoid potentially difficult conversations
- Recognising early symptoms
- Why early intervention counts
- Strategies for conducting difficult conversations and preventing escalation
Enquiry Request – Get In Touch